New Beginnings of Monastic Life
After four years of work, the monumental building was essentially complete. On September 17th, 1904, twelve Benedictine nuns moved into the new foundation from the Abbey of St Gabriel in Prague, the Beuron Congregation’s first monastic house for women. In 1908 the priory was raised to an Abbey by two decrees of Pope Leo XIII, and vested with all the rights and privileges of the former Abbey of St Hildegard. As an „exempt“ abbey it does not come under the jurisdiction of the regional bishop, but directly under the Holy See. On September 7th, 1908 the wall painting of the interior of the church, by Fr Paulus Krebs of Beuron and his students, was so far advanced that the bishop of Limburg, Dominikus Willi, could consecrate the church.
The day after the consecration of the church, on September 8th, 1908, Regintrudis Sauter, who had been prioress, was solemnly blessed as the first abbess of the new monastic community. With this she became the 36th successor to St Hildegard, under whose patronage the Abbey and church had been placed. The number of nuns increased steadily in the years following. The community came through the First World War (1914-1918) and the post war inflationary period relatively well, thanks to the wise leadership of the house. During the time after the First World War (1918-1939) the east wing of the Abbey, which so far had been a shell, could also be completed. The novitiate wing and chapter hall were officially opened.